Ombudsman goes after ex-VP Binay, files criminal charges

Ombudsman goes after ex-VP Binay, files criminal charges

- The filing today is expected as the Ombudsman vowed to go after Binay as soon as he steps down from VP post

- The office of the Ombudsman filed criminal charges against former vice president Jejomar Binay over the alleged overpriced Makati Building

- Binay's camp responded by saying that the former vice-president is ready to clear his name

Ombudsman goes after ex-VP Binay, files criminal charges

No longer immune from criminal charges. Ombudsman files graft case against former VP Binay. Photo from www.philstar.com

Pronouncing its earlier decision to go after the former vice president, the Office of the Ombudsman has filed criminal charges against losing presidential candidate and ex-VP Jejomar Binay before the anti-graft court Sandiganbayan on the alleged overpriced construction of the Makati City Hall Building II.

The charges filed Thursday, July 14, include graft, violation of the Government Procurement Act, falsification of public documents in line with the controversial building.

Ombudsman had earlier ruled that there was probable cause to file cases versus the former vice president, who lost to President Rodrigo Duterte and ranked 4 during the May 9 presidential elections.

READ ALSO: WATCH: Leni, Rody attend their first cabinet meeting together

Ombudsman goes after ex-VP Binay, files criminal charges
Ombudsman goes after ex-VP Binay, files criminal charges

Binay camp's response to today's filing of case. Photo from GMA News

It can be recalled that today’s filing of the case is expected as the Ombudsman vowed to proceed after Binay steps down from his post as the second highest official of the country.

Meanwhile, Binay's spokesperson Joey Salgado said that Binay is ready to clear his name over the allegations. Salgado said that while he (Binay) is ready to face his accusers in a fair trial, the Ombudsman must also be ready to account for her actions in the civil suit now pending before the courts.

In the past, Binay’s camp cried foul against the Ombudsman who also suspended then Makati Mayor Jejomar Erwin “Junjun” Binay Jr, for allegedly favoring selected political figures mainly the Liberal Party.

READ ALSO: LOOK! VP Leni’s appointment to housing, a reminder of her late husband

"The Ombudsman's fealty to the Constitution and to the public interest has long been compromised by her willingness to be a tool for political ends. It has been established that the Ombudsman violated due process, Constitutional rights and even its own rules to railroad the filing of the complaint. Her undying loyalty to her LP patrons comes at the expense of accountability and respect for the rule of law," Salgado explained.

In 2015, Binay filed a 200 million ($4.41 million) damage suit against Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales and several senators in line with the senate investigation on the overpriced Makati building. Binay’s camp later clarified that the charges come after libel damages were received.

Ex-VP Binay’s camp started facing legal charges on the alleged overpriced Makati building when Renato L. Bondal and Nicolas "Ching" Enciso VI filed a complaint against the former Makati Mayor before the Ombudsman which was later followed by a senate investigation on the matter. -MR, Kami Media

RELATED: WATCH: 5 politicians that will make you go LOL

Related news

A Minnesota woman employed a homeless ex-con for a day - two weeks later he's still there!

A Minnesota woman employed a homeless ex-con for a day - two weeks later he's still there!

A Minnesota woman employed a homeless ex-con for a day - two weeks later he's still there!