The terrorist group Abu Sayyaf warned that it will carry out its threat of beheading 4 captives in Samal Island if the government fails to pay the P4 billion ransom today, April 8, which is the deadline set by the group.
Among the captives threatened by the terrorist group whom it will behead are three foreigners (Canadians – John Ridsdel and Robert Hall – and Norwegian Kjartan Sekkingstad) and a Filipina (Marithes “Tess” Flor) who were kidnapped last year.
The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) however is firm about its “no ransom” policy.
AFP Chief of Staff General Hernando Iriberri said that they will not allow anyone to pay ransom to the Abu Sayyaf.
Presidential Communications Development and Strategic Planning Office Undersecretary Manuel Quezon III said last month that he could not give information on the military and police operations to rescue the hostages from the Abu Sayyaf and that the Department of Foreign Affairs was in close contact with the Canadian and Norwegian governments.
Quezon adds that most countries have a no-ransom policy for kidnapping incidents perpetrated by terrorists.
“You cannot really deal with or pay ransom because that means (allowing) them to get what they want and sow terror further because of financial rewards for their criminality,” Quezon said.
The AFP earlier confirmed that a total of 15 foreign nationals are in the hands of Abu Sayyaf. As of Wednesday, April 6, the foreign nationals are as follows: