- Secretary of Communications Hermino Coloma Jr said that the Malacañang would withhold participation to the current ordeal within the COMELEC
- He said that that COMELEC is an independent body, and that it should fix their issues among themselves
- The problem surfaced when the 6 commissioners released a memorandum criticizing COMELEC chair Andres Bautista
Amid the tension between Commission on Elections (COMELEC) Chairman Andres Bautista and the other six commissioners of the poll body, the Malacañang has refused to dip its hand on the matter.
Hermino Coloma Jr., Communications Secretary explained that because the COMELEC is an independent body, the palace would withhold comments on the issue.
“Mainam na lamang na hayaan na lang talakayin ng tagapangulo at commissioners ng Comelec dahil ayon sa batas, ang Comelec ay isang independent Constitutional body,” he said in an interview.
(It’s better that we let the chairman and commissioners of Comelec discuss amongst themselves because according to the law, Comelec is an independent Constitutional body.)
He added that the seven-member body should instead address their problems internally, “karamihan sa kanilang mga tinutukoy ay panloob na usapin ay hinggil sa kanilang ugnayan sa isa’t isa sa Comelec kaya mainam na sila na lamang ang magtalakayan hinggil ditto.”
(Many of these things are internal matters about their relations with each other in Comelec, that’s why it’s better that they should be the ones to discuss amongst themselves about this.)
Earlier this month, six commissioners released a memorandum pointing out the “failure” of Bautista’s leadership in the COMELEC. They raised specific issues such as the delayed release of honoraria for teachers who rendered their services as Board of Election Inspectors (BEI) and the “demand for changes” of a mall following the cancellation of mall voting.
Bautista has then responded to the allegations by emphasizing on the relative success of the elections on May 9, but commissioner Guanzon dismissed this and said that Bautista couldn’t simply take all the credit of the poll’s success.
In earlier reports, Guanzon clarified that the memorandum was not a personal attack against the COMELEC chair. She said that it was written in good faith.
COMELEC chair Bautista flew to Japan even before the memorandum was released, and Guanzon has then challenged him to go back to the country and personally face the allegations.
READ ALSO: Duterte lied about SOCE?