These haunting images were chronicled just seconds before tragedy struck. The final moments of the lives of these people were caught on camera, resulting in very powerful photographs.
10. During the horrific 911 terrorist attack many people were forced by the smoke and flames to jump out of the window, or were blown out as a result of the pressure and shockwave. We begin our list with the infamous photo of ‘The Falling Man’ who was later identified as Jonathan Briley, a 43 year old audio technician for Windows. Tom Junod, in a famous Esquire article, described this photo: “Although he has not chosen his fate, he appears to have, in his last instants of life, embraced it."
9. This heart-breaking photo of two engineers hugging each other as imminent death crawls towards them was caught in Ooltgensplaat, Holland. They were conducting a routine maintenance of the wind turbine, when all the sudden it started burning. Reportedly, one of them decided to jump to his death, while the other succumbed to the flames. The saddest part is that the two engineers were just boys at the age of 19 and 21.
8. 58 year old Ki Suk Han, a father and husband, was pushed under a train by a crazy homeless man. This photo, in which he tries to scramble out of the way of the speeding train, was caught by a passing freelance photographer who was trying to warn the operator of the train by repeatedly flashing his camera at him.
7. Omayra Sanchez was a 13-year-old girl from Colombia, who was caught in the tragic event of the 1985 eruption of the volcano Nevado Del Ruiz. A volcanically induced landslide destroyed her village killing 23 000 people. In this photo is young Omayra pinned under the debris of her own home, where she was trapped for three days.
6. 15 year old Natasha Lastun and her friend were taking photos on the roof of a nine story building in Engels, Russia. A brief instant later Natasha slipped off the edge and fell to her death, right before the eyes of her best friend.
5. Russian parkour runner Pavel Kashin and his team were doing a photo shoot on the roof of a 16-floor building when Pavel decided to do a difficult jump. In this photo is Pavel Kashin caught performing the jump that would end his life.
4. Regina Kay Walters, 14, decided to run away from home with her boyfriend. They were hitchhiking their way across Texas when they got into the truck of Robert Ben Rhodes, who was believed to have tortured, raped and killed over 50 women. In this photo, Regina’s face portrays all the fear, disgust and hatred she feels toward her killer.
3. Courtney Sanford decided to take a selfie of herself while driving. Just seconds later her car hit a truck. The impact killed Courtney on the spot. Her photo is now a a grim testament of what happens to those who don’t pay attention on the road.
2. A photographer immortalized the last moments of this woman mere meters away from her death. Allegedly, the woman decided to commit suicide when she received a notice that her lover died fighting in World War II.
1. Reynaldo Dagsa, a Filipino politician, was able to get a picture of his assassin moments before he got shot. He was immediately rushed to the hospital, where he was declared dead from a .45 calibre bullet wound to the skull. Thankfully, this photo helped the police to identify the killer and his associates and put them behind bars.