- A man somehow swallowed an entire wrench that got lodged in his throat
- The video of the doctor's intense operation went viral
- Heimlich's maneuver is recommended in any case of accidental swallowing
Doctors always have to be prepared for different types of cases and emergencies.
However, the doctors in this viral video might have been unprepared for this emergency: a man somehow swallowed an entire wrench which got lodged in his throat!
How the man got an entire wrench stuck in his throat is anyone’s guess, what we do know is that the operation must have been too painful to bear!
Fortunately, the doctors were very careful and skillful in pulling the tool out of the man’s throat. Everyone in the room seemed shocked by just how big the wrench was.
In case someone around you accidentally swallowed a foreign object, there are several steps to follow in order to prevent further injury.
You can give five back blows between the patient’s shoulder blades using the heel of your hand. The next step is to give five abdominal thrusts, a.k.a. the Heimlich maneuver, to the patient. If the patient is an infant, giving chest compressions is recommended.
The Heimlich maneuver is performed by making a fist with one hand, positioning it above the patient’s navel, grasping the fist with the other hand, and pressing hard into the abdomen with a quick, sudden and upward thrust, as if attempting to lift the patient up. If the Heimlich maneuver does not work after five attempts, you can try it again for a couple of times.
If it still does not work, taking the patient to the nearest hospital is necessary.
But if you are the one choking and you are all alone, you can perform a modified version of the Heimlich maneuver on yourself by making a fist with one hand, placing it above your navel, grasping the fist with the other hand, bending over a hard surface like a table or a sturdy chair, and shoving your fist inward and upward.