The Abu Sayyaf bandits have issued another warning to the Philippine government about beheading their Norwegian and Filipino captives if they will still not be given the P600 million ransom they are demanding.
“We will upload a new video soon for our new ultimatum. No ransom, another beheading,” Abu Sayyaf spokesperson Abu Raami told the reporters by phone.
Raami also said that his group is currently under heavy military attack, with helicopters and airplanes flying over their location. “We need to hide,” the spokesperson added.
President Benigno Aquino III went to the Sulu province to meet with AFP officers in order to discuss how to solve the Abu Sayyaf conflict and rescue the hostages.
The meeting took place after the terrorists beheaded their Canadian hostage Robert Hall after the deadline for the ransom money lapsed. John Risdel, another Canadian, was also beheaded by the bandits on April 25.
The two Canadians, along with Filipino Maritess Flor and Norwegian Kjartan Sekkingstad were abducted by the Abu Sayyaf terrorists in Island Garden City of Samal, Davao del Norte on September last year. They were then taken as hostages in the province of Sulu, the stronghold of the bandit group.
To intensify the fight against the terrorists, President Aquino revealed that he is thinking of placing the entire Sulu province under martial law.
“Kidnapping is a very complex problem … I understand the difficulties (of running after the Abu Sayyaf),” Pres. Aquino told told the media at Camp Teodulfo Bautista after meeting with top police and military officials.
Sekkingstad pleaded for the Philippine and Norwegian governments to work faster in trying to rescue him and Flor from the armed men.
“All I can say is the demand has to be met; otherwise, we will be executed,” the Norwegian captive told reporters on Wednesday by phone.