Duterte, Robredo to hold separate inaugurations

Duterte, Robredo to hold separate inaugurations

Vice President-elect Leni Robredo's camp told the media on Wednesday, June 15 that there will be no joint inauguration ceremony with President-elect Rodrigo Duterte on June 30.

"We were informed by the team of President-elect Rody Duterte about their preference to hold the inauguration separately," Boyet Dy, the head of Robredo's transition team, said in a statement.

Duterte, Robredo to hold separate inaugurations

TO EACH HIS OWN: The incoming President and Vice President will take oath in separate locations on June 30. (Photo from CNN Philippines)

"While we have been preparing for a joint inauguration, we respect their decision and will begin our own preparations for a simple and modest ceremony," he added.

The Vice President's inauguration ceremony will be conducted in Metro Manila.

Robredo wishes to be sworn in by Ronaldo Coner, barangay captain of Barangay Punta Tarawal, Calabanga, which is the smallest, farthest and poorest barangay in Camarines Sur, according to her camp.

The team behind President-elect Duterte had previously said that his own inauguration will steer away from any lavish preparations and will be held at Malacañang.

Back when he was still granting media interviews, Duterte even said in jest that he will only deliver a five-minute speech after his oath-taking.

"May finger food lang siguro because it's nearing noontime, but there will be no eating after. Before lang, tapos mag-oath ako. Then I will go nationwide on TV and then I will just spell out my governance in five minutes," Duterte said.

His transition team spokesman Peter Laviña, however, clarified that the five-minute speech is one of Duterte's "jokes" as it may take up until half an hour.

Related news

Jericho Rosales' son is the newest

Jericho Rosales' son is the newest "Crush ng Bayan"

Jericho Rosales' son is the newest "Crush ng Bayan"