After a threat of media boycott, President-elect Rodrigo Duterte has turned the table as TV networks are not allowed to cover DU31 thanksgiving party today, June 4, in Davao City except for the People's Television Network (PTV4).
A live footage of DU31 thanksgiving party can be streamed only through state-owned media network PTV4 and Radio Television Malacañang (RTVM).
RTVM is Malacañang's in-house video production unit. It is "the entity with the sole responsibility and exclusive prerogative to decide on policy/operational matters concerning the television medium as it is utilized for the official documentation of all the President's activities for news dissemination purposes and for video archiving."
The real reason, nevertheless, behind the change of set up for media coverage in his thanksgiving party remained unexplained.
One of the event’s organizers, Kat Dalisay was unable to give definite reply when asked about the sudden change of plans. "The higher authorities will be answering that for us," she told reporters.
Dalisay described Duterte thanksgiving party as "an event organized and prepared by the private sector but is a public event."
"Sinabi lang na may bagong protocol na RTVM and PTV4 yung for media rin (They just said that there's a new protocol and that only RTVM and PTV4 will cover for media)," Dalisay added.
The 12-hour party is attended by thousands of people. The said event also has a medical mission, a street party and the much-awaited speech by the future president.
Duterte’s event organizers announced at 8am on June 4, shortly hours before the party per se, that media are not allowed inside a prepared area near the stage where the event will take place. The announcement was made the day after Duterte declared his plans not to hold press conferences anymore.
Bong Go, Duterte’s executive assistant noted earlier that future interviews of the incoming president will only be covered by media network PTV4. According to Go, the set up is to "minimize mistakes" and to avoid the same incident where the outgoing mayor's statement over media killings was "misquoted" and "taken out of context."
Meanwhile, Go has just recently sent a text message today to the media. "Kung ayaw niyo daw mag-boycott sa kanya [ President-elect Duterte], siya daw mag-boycott sa inyo (He says if you don't want to boycott him, he'll boycott you)," the text message read.
"Anyway, mayor pa naman siya at si PNoy ang pres (Anyway, he's still a mayor and President Aquino is the president)," added Go in his text message.
RELATED: Farmers slam CHR Kidapawan report