- “Fan Girl” was able to win eight major awards in the Metro Manila Film Festival
- The awards included the Best Actress for Charlie Dizon and Best Actor for Paulo Avelino
- Antoinette Jadaone, who won the Best Director and Best Screenplay awards, shared the adults need to be good role models to the youth
- Other films, which were equally deserving, also won other awards from the MMFF 2020
“Fan Girl” came out as the big winner in the recent Metro Manila Film Festival (MMFF) 2020 as it won several major awards.
Antoinette Jadaone’s film was able to win in eight categories. These are the Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Director, Best Cinematography, Best Picture, Best Screenplay, Best Editing, and Best Sound.
Among these, Charlie Dizon’s bagging the Best Actress award was the one that caught the attention of the media. The young leading lady of Paulo Avelino had to compete against veteran actresses, such as Nora Aunor and Iza Calzado.
Iza, who was nominated for the film “Tagpuan”, posted her thoughts about the competition’s outcome on social media. She wrote a heartwarming message for the young winner and revealed that she actually rooted for her.
“Tonight, I feel blessed to witness a star shine brighter. I know we were nominated in the same category but I was really rooting for you.” she said.
Paulo Avelino, who is undoubtedly deserving of the award too, went trending on social media recently due to his role. He has been a talk-of-the-town following his controversial frontal scene in the movie.
Antoinette, who was both the writer and director of the movie, emphasized the need for adults to be good role models to the younger generation.
"Sana lagi nating isipin na palakihin natin ang mga kabataan sa mapagpalayang Pilipinas, na ang kabataan ng pag-asa ng bayan at tayong mga matatanda ang dapat nagbibigay sa kabataan nito sa Pilipinas ng dapat nilang hangaan," she said in her acceptance speech.
Here is the list of the other winners for the MMFF 2020:
- Best Virtual Float- Magikland
- Best Student Short Film- "Paano Maging Babae", De La Salle College of Saint Benilde
- Best Visual Effects- Magikland
- Best Production Design- Magikland
- Best Musical Score- Magikland
- Best Original Theme Song- The Boy Foretold By The Stars
- FPJ Memorial Award- Magikland
- Gatpuno Antonio J. Villegas Cultural Award- Suarez: The Healing Priest
- Gender Sensitivity Award- The Boy Foretold By The Stars
- Best Child Performer- Seiyo Masunaga (The Missing)
- Best Actress in a Supporting Role- Shaina Magdayao (Tagpuan)
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role- Michael de Mesa (Isa Pang Bahaghari)
“Fan Girl” is an official entry to the Metro Manila Film Festival for 2020. It is the story of a fan, played by Charlie Dizon, who is obsessed with actor Paulo Avelino and gets the chance to spend a night with him.
For Iza Calzado, Charlie deserved the award. She did not only root for her, but she was also overwhelmed that the younger actress looked up to her as an influence.
In a recent report by KAMI, Lolit Solis joined the Paulo Avelino frontal-scene hype, as she shared her honest opinion about it.
Please like and share our amazing Facebook posts to support the KAMI team! Don’t hesitate to comment and share your opinions about our stories either. We love reading about your thoughts and views on different matters!