- President Rodrigo Duterte has designated National Capital Region Police Office Director Police Major Gen. Debold Sinas as the new chief of the Philippine National Police
- Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque announced that Sinas’ new designation will be effective on November 10
- Sinas will replace Gen. Camilo Cascolan who will soon reach the mandatory retirement age of 56
- Sinas earlier received backlash for holding a birthday party or "mañanita" in the midst of the strictest quarantine protocols
President Rodrigo Duterte has recently appointed National Capital Region Police Office Director Police Major Gen. Debold Sinas as the new chief of the Philippine National Police.
In an online briefing, presidential spokesperson Harry Roque announced that Sinas’ new designation will be effective on November 10.
“Tinalaga po ni President Rodrigo Duterte si Debold Sinas bilang bagong Philippine National Police chief effective po bukas, November 10,” said Roque.
According to Manila Bulletin, he will replace Gen. Camilo Cascolan who will soon reach the mandatory retirement age of 56.
To recall, Sinas earlier faced criticisms for holding a birthday party or "mañanita" in the midst of the strictest quarantine protocols due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
In an interview with CNN Philippines, Sinas said that it was his officers who prepared for the “gathering.” He also mentioned that social distancing was observed and people were wearing face masks.
“It's very ungentleman naman 'yan kung hindi ko sila hinarap at kung sabi ko huwag na kayo kumanta sa akin. They prepared for that eh. Alam niyo naman po, nag-observe sila ng social distancing at nagmask po sila diyan,” he clarified.
As per Inquirer.net, Sinas, a member of the Philippine Military Academy Hinirang Class of 1987, was regional director of the Police Regional Office 7 (Central Visayas) prior to his appointment as Metro Manila’s top cop.
Sinas previously issued an apology after photos of his supposed birthday celebration went viral on social media and drew flak from netizens. The NCRPO chief earlier argued that there was no “party” that happened and it was only their traditional mañanita.
Sinas also said that he won’t be taking a leave while the investigation regarding his celebration is pending unless ordered by the Philippine National Police chief or President Rodrigo Duterte. He likewise insisted that there was nothing wrong with his birthday celebration.
Please like and share our amazing Facebook posts to support the KAMI team! Don’t hesitate to comment and share your opinions about our stories either. We love reading about your thoughts and views on different matters!