- A magnitude 6.5 earthquake was recorded in Masbate and the tremor was felt in the Visayas
- It was reported that the quake was strong and it lasted for about 20 seconds
- PHIVOLCS said that damages and aftershocks are expected after the quake
- Many netizens shared their experiences after the strong tremor woke them up on Tuesday morning
A magnitude 6.5 earthquake woke up many people living in the Visayas on Tuesday morning.
KAMI learned that many houses and establishments were damaged after the strong tremor.
In a tweet by PHIVOLCS-DOST, the center of the earthquake was recorded in Cataingan, Masbate at 8:03 a.m.
Masbate CDRRMO Isaias Bigol Jr. said that he felt the earthquake last for about 20 seconds.
“Matindi 'yung shaking, around 20 seconds. Sobrang tagal,” he said.
The tremor was felt in the following areas:
- Intensity V – Masbate City, Masbate
- Intensity IV - Mapanas, Northern Samar; Legazpi City, Albay; Lezo, Aklan
- Intensity III - Iloilo City
- Intensity I - President Roxas, Capiz
PHIVOLCS said that there is no tsunami threat after the quake. However, aftershocks and damages are expected to happen.
Many netizens were able to share their experiences right after the strong earthquake. Check it out here:
In the past months, many earthquakes were recorded in the Philippines. Two months ago, the Taal Volcano showed signs of activity, and five earthquakes were registered within 24 hours.
Meanwhile, in May, an earthquake was felt in Occidental Mindoro and some parts of Metro Manila. Intensities IV and V were felt in Metro Manila.
KAMI also reported that in April, a magnitude 4.6 earthquake was recorded in Batangas, including Taal.
Please like and share our amazing Facebook posts to support the KAMI team! Don’t hesitate to comment and share your opinions about our stories either. We love reading about your thoughts and views on different matters!