Teenager dies of bubonic plague in Mongolia after eating infected marmot

Teenager dies of bubonic plague in Mongolia after eating infected marmot

- A teenager became the latest person who fell victim to the dangerous bubonic plague

- Health authorities in Mongolia announced that a 15-year-old boy died of the said illness

- The information was announced in the midst of COVID-19 pandemic that has been wreaking havoc in more than 200 countries

- It was reported that the teenager acquired the bubonic plague after eating an infected marmot

- The government of Mongolia has warned the public to stop hunting and eating such kind of animal

PAY ATTENTION: Click "See First" under the "Following" tab to see KAMI news on your News Feed

A 15-year-old boy from Mongolia became the latest reported victim of the dangerous bubonic plague.

KAMI learned that the said teenager passed away after eating meat of an infected marmot, a relatively large ground squirrel that is active every summer.

The information was confirmed by health authorities in the said country amid the growing cases of the novel coronavirus disease.

PAY ATTENTION: Enjoyed reading our story? Download KAMI's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major Filipino news!

As reported by Agence France-Presse, the teenager lived in the remote southwest province of Gobi-Altai.

The two other men, who also ate the said infected marmot, are now being treated with antibiotics.

The Guardian also reported on Thursday that the Mongolian government has now imposed a quarantine on the western part of the country.

It is also appealing to the public to not hunt or eat marmots because their lives might be put at stake.

PAY ATTENTION: Shop with KAMI! The best offers and discounts on the market, product reviews and feedback

Teenager dies of bubonic plague in Mongolia after eating infected marmot

A photo of marmot (Courtesy of Getty Images)
Source: Getty Images

Bubonic plague is one of the most dangerous health concerns in Mongolia and other parts of the world. It causes buboes, which are characterized as very swollen and painful lymph nodes in the neck, groin, and under the arms.

Reports about this health crisis always alarm many people especially now that there is still COVID-19 pandemic.

About eight months ago, two patients in China were diagnosed with pneumonic plague, a form of plague that, according to the World Health Organization (WHO), is the most virulent.

Please like and share our Facebook posts to support KAMI team! Don’t hesitate to comment and share your opinion about our stories either. We love reading about your thoughts!

Source: Kami.com.ph

Mailfire view pixel