The world we live in is amazing, beautiful and complex. However, the world is also a very mysterious place.
Here are 20 mindblowing facts, events and photos that prove how mysterious the world really is.
1. This is a picture of a woman’s corpse 2,000 years after her death. Her body is considered as one of the best preserved ancient human remains in the world. It is covered in a mysterious liquid substance that scientists could not quite understand.
2. From September to March every year, a large thundercloud in Australia forms during afternoons. Meteorologists all over the world are still unsure why it is there.
3. This 6 to 8 inch-long skeleton with hard teeth, big head and scaled skin was discovered outside a town in Chile and many people think that it looks like an alien. However, scientists concluded that the skeleton is human. Many people are still wondering why the human skeleton has an abnormal size and why it has strange mutations.
4. Almost 90 commercial airplanes have gone missing in the past 70 years. One of the most mysterious airline disappearances is the Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 vanishing.
5. One of the most puzzling alien abduction stories is about Charles Hickson and Calvin Parker. The two men reported being abducted by an alien while they were fishing.
The two men were brought to separate rooms but were able to tell the same story about the alien with lobster-like claws. Both were in distress and Hickson even passed a polygraph test.
6. A mysterious event happened over at Kentucky in 1876. Citizens reported that it rained meat near Rankin in Bath County.
7. A satellite was spotted before any satellite had ever been launched. It is called “The Black Knight Satellite” and its origin and purpose is still unknown.
8. Australian Prime Minister Harold Holt mysteriously disappeared while swimming in 1967. Despite a large and thorough search operation, his body was never found. Many believe that he drowned while swimming while others think he committed suicide.
9. Thieves stole Boeing 727 from an airport in Angola in 2013. What is mysterious about this crime is that the suspects did not know how to fly a plane.
10. Koko, a gorilla who knows how to use and understand sign language, responded to a question about where gorillas go to after they die. “Comfortable hole, bye,” Koko answered.
11. In 1518, a phenomenon called the “dancing plague” hit Strasbourg, Alsace. Hundreds of people danced on the streets for over a month and caused some of the dancers to suffer heart attacks and strokes due to over-exhaustion.
12. A man suffered some memory loss and hearing problems after enduring a brain injury in a swimming pool. However, the man also gained the ability to play the piano after suffering the brain injury which is a condition known as Acquired Musical Savant Syndrome.
13. A historical and mysterious artifact called The Voynich Manuscript has been confusing people for many years now. The 240-page book was written in the 15th century using a language that no man has been able to decipher.
14. A rare motorcycle was found behind a brick wall in Chicago in 1968. After a careful examination of the bike, it was concluded that the vehicle was made in 1916. However, many people are wondering how a 1916 motorcycle could have mechanisms and features that did not exist during that time.
15. A man spent almost seven decades of his life with stereoblindness, a condition that disables a person to accurately perceive depth. However, his stereoblindness was corrected after watching a 3D movie called “Hugo.”
16. Pandora, the world’s biggest virus, was discovered off the coast of Australia. About 93 percent of the virus’ genetic make-up is still unidentified. Some people think that the origin of Pandora is extraterrestrial while others think that the virus poses a great danger to mankind.
17. The Devil’s Kettle is one of the most mysterious land formations in the world. It is an enormous hole where half of the Brule River goes to. However, it is still unknown where the hole actually leads to.
18. A group of curious individuals in Canada began digging after discovering a hole that pirates could have used to hide their treasure. Unfortunately, the constant flooding made it too hard for the group to continue digging. The group was still able to salvage a large stone with a mysterious note marking that says: “Forty feet below two million pounds are buried.”
19. The city of Haicheng, China was evacuated after dogs and other animals in the city displayed anxious and strange behavior. A few hours after the evacuation, an earthquake with a 7.3 magnitude destroyed 90 percent of the city.
20. A super-dense dark matter called “The Great Attractor” is pulling the Milky Way galaxy and other galaxies toward it with a speed of 14 million miles per hour.