Palace: Government may tap ABS-CBN soon for long-distance learning amid COVID-19 crisis

Palace: Government may tap ABS-CBN soon for long-distance learning amid COVID-19 crisis

- The Palace said that the Department of Education may need to tap private television networks for its distance learning program

- Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said that it could include ABS-CBN should the franchise will be renewed by the Congress

- The opening of classes is still expected to happen on August 24, as of posting time

- There are 15,588 confirmed coronavirus disease cases now in the Philippines

PAY ATTENTION: Click "See First" under the "Following" tab to see KAMI news on your News Feed

According to the Palace, the Philippine government may tap private broadcasting networks for the “distance learning” program led by the Department of Education (DepEd).

KAMI learned that the Palace said it could also tap ABS-CBN should the franchise be renewed by Congress.

In a report by the Inquirer (authored by Krissy Aguilar), the government expressed its need for the education department to partner with several television networks.

“Ang sinasabi ko lang po is lahat ng private companies na media ay pupuwedeng i-tap po no and if ABS-CBN can come back on the air, I’m sure as a way of showing their commitment to the Filipino people, they will allow their broadcast to be used for educational purposes. And it goes naman for all the broadcast companies in operation,” Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said.

“Sa dami po ng mga grades natin I’m sure we would need more than one, more than two, more than three companies at a time to partner with DepEd for long-distance learning,” he added.

PAY ATTENTION: Shop with KAMI! The best offers and discounts on the market, product reviews and feedback

PAY ATTENTION: Enjoyed reading our story? Download KAMI's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major Filipino news!

As previously reported by KAMI, the Palace confirmed that the opening of classes on August 24 will push through. The enrolment will start on June 1, Monday.

The ABS-CBN network was ordered to shut down by the National Telecommunications Commission and its franchise renewal is still pending in Congress.

As of posting time, there are 15,588 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the Philippines, as reported by the Department of Health (DOH).

Please like and share our amazing Facebook posts to support the KAMI team! Don’t hesitate to comment and share your opinions about our stories either. We love reading about your thoughts and views on different matters!

Source: Kami.com.ph

Mailfire view pixel