- Majority of the Senate filed a resolution to call for the resignation of Health Secretary Francisco Duque III
- At least 14 senators led by Senate President Tito Sotto have signed the resolution
- Among the senators in favor for the resignation of Duque were Senators Manny Pacquiao, Bato dela Rosa, Imee Marcos, Nancy Binay, and Sonny Angara
- The senators said that Duque has “poor planning”, “lack of transparency, and “delayed response” during COVID-19 crisis
The majority of the Senate called for the resignation of Health Secretary Francisco Duque III for his response during the COVID-19 crisis.
KAMI learned that at least 14 senators led by Senate President Vicente “Tito” Sotto III has signed the resolution against Duque.
In a report by the CNN Philippines, the senators cited “failure of leadership, negligence, lack of foresight, and inefficiency” as reasons for Duque to leave his post.
As reported by GMA News Online, Sotto said that 16 senators are in favor of Duque's resignation but they are not yet able to sign. Here are the senators who introduced the resolution:
- Senate President Vicente “Tito” Sotto III
- Senate Majority Leader Juan Miguel "Migz" Zubiri
- Senate President Pro Tempore Ralph Recto
- Senator Juan Edgardo "Sonny" Angara
- Senator Nancy Binay
- Senator Grace Poe
- Senator Emmanuel "Manny" Pacquiao
- Senator Sherwin Gatchalian
- Senator Francis Tolentino
- Senator Joel Villanueva
- Senator Imee Marcos
- Senator Ronald "Bato" Dela Rosa
- Senator Lito Lapid
- Senator Ramon "Bong" Revilla Jr.
- Senator Panfilo "Ping" Lacson
In a report by ABS-CBN News, Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said that Palace holds no position regarding the matter.
"Wala kaming kinalaman kung talagang mayroong ganyang inisyatibo na pag-resignin ang ating kalihim, Secretary of Health,” Roque said.
“Gaya ng paulit-ulit ko ng nasasabi sa mga nakalipas na panahon, every cabinet member serves at the pleasure of the President. And habang hindi sila tinatanggal, the President continues to have full trust and confidence in them," he added.
Francisco Duque III is a physician who was appointed in 2017 as the secretary of the Department of Health (DOH). He previously served his first term as the Secretary of Health from 2005 to 2010 under the term of former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.
Please like and share our amazing Facebook posts to support the KAMI team! Don’t hesitate to comment and share your opinions about our stories either. We love reading about your thoughts and views on different matters!
Maricar Reyes participated in a hilarious edition of our “Tricky Questions” challenge! Check out all of the exciting videos and celebrity interviews on our KAMI HumanMeter YouTube channel!