- DILG Secretary Eduardo Año said that extending the enhanced community quarantine is “not advisable”
- He explained that the extension could greatly affect the country’s economy
- Año also mentioned that the increase in COVID-19 cases was due to the number of the tests being conducted recently
- Earlier, Health Secretary Francisco Duque said that it is too early to assess whether the ECQ should be extended or not
- As of posting time, the Department of Health reported about 1,546 COVID-19 cases in the Philippines
Department of Interior and Local Government Secretary Eduardo Año said on Monday that extending the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) is “not advisable.”
KAMI learned that Año also urged the Filipinos to follow the ECQ guidelines to prevent the spread of coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
In a report by the Philippine Star, Año explained that extending the ECQ would greatly affect the country’s economy.
"'Yung lockdown, hindi advisable na pa habain 'yung lockdown kasi magsa-suffer ng husto 'yung ating economy," Año said during an interview on Dobol B sa News TV.
"Talagang itong dalawang natitirang linggo na 'to ay seryosohin natin 'to. I tell you maso-solve natin ito, wala lang mga pasaway," he continued
As reported by GMA News Online (authored by Anna Felicia Bajo), the Interior Secretary also explained that the increasing COVID-19 cases are due to the number of tests that were able to conduct.
"'Yung pagtaas ng ating positive cases ngayon dahil sa dami na ng test kits na nailabas kaya bumilis, ano, pero hindi ito ibig sabihin na talagang tayo ay nagkakaroon ng spiraling o exponential," he said.
"Kasi nga if we compare our country with other countries like Spain and France and Italy na kung hindi tayo nag-lockdown, sabi ko nga around 20,000 sana 'yung cases natin ngayon," the Interior Secretary continued.
In a different report by the GMA News, Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said that it is too early to assess whether the enhanced community quarantine should be extended or not.
As previously reported by KAMI, President Rodrigo Duterte placed the entire Luzon on enhanced community quarantine on March 17, 2020.
The Department of Health (DOH) has recorded a total of 1,546 COVID-19 cases as of 4 p.m. on March 20. Meanwhile, 42 patients have recovered and 78 people have died due to the coronavirus.
Please like and share our Facebook posts to support KAMI team! Don’t hesitate to comment and share your opinion about our stories either. We love reading about your thoughts!
Kapuso Actress Kris Bernal talks about her career, future goals, and being an entrepreneur. Watch now as she also has a message to tell to her bashers. Check out all of the exciting videos and celebrity interviews on our KAMI HumanMeter YouTube channel!