- Manila Mayor Isko Moreno announced that e-trikes will be used to help coronavirus disease (COVID-19) frontline workers
- Moreno said that about 189 e-trikes will be deployed as part of the Department of Labor and Employment’s program
- However, the Manila mayor noted that the e-trikes will not operate for public use and will be exclusive for health workers
- Doctors, nurses, and healthcare workers will be catered to and from public hospitals in Manila
Manila Mayor Isko Moreno announced on Thursday that e-trikes will be allowed to operate again in the capital city to help the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) frontliners.
KAMI learned that this is a program of the national government through the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE).
Through a Facebook post, Moreno announced that health workers will be catered to and from the public hospitals in Manila.
“189 e-trikes will be deployed for frontliners in Manila, may trabaho at may sweldo! Programa po ito ng national government, through Department of Labor and Employment,” he wrote on Facebook.
“Hatid-sundo ng ating mga doctor, nurse, healthcare workers sa mga public hospital ng Lungsod ng Maynila,” he added.
However, Moreno clarified that e-tricycle drivers will not operate for public use. Only health workers are allowed to use it.
Earlier, the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) earlier appealed to the request of Pasig Mayor Vico Sotto to exempt the tricycles from the suspension of mass transportation to cater to all the affected health workers in the city.
However, DILG insisted that if it will be giving exemptions, it defeats the purpose of the enhanced community quarantine and social distancing.
“Ang hindi ko maintindihan, kung nagagawan ng paraan ng ibang LGU na makagawa ng sistema ng paghahatid ng health workers, bakit hindi magawa ng Pasig? Pasensya na po, Mayor, hindi po namin kayo pwede pagbigyan... If we give an exemption, it defeats the purpose of a quarantine," Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles said.
As previously reported by KAMI, President Rodrigo Duterte placed the entire Luzon under enhanced community quarantine amid the increasing cases of COVID-19 in the country.
As per the Department of Health (DOH), there are 217 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the Philippines. Meanwhile, 8 of them have recovered.
Please like and share our amazing Facebook posts to support the KAMI team! Don’t hesitate to comment and share your opinions about our stories either. We love reading about your thoughts and views on different matters!
KAMI had a hilarious time with some Kapuso Stars who took on our Tricky Questions Challenge! Check out all of the exciting videos and celebrity interviews on our KAMI HumanMeter YouTube channel!